Friday, May 4, 2007

For This Weekend

I took a day this week to do some gardening -- got lots of plants put out and moved some that were in the wrong places. That was on Wednesday -- we went to our local cafe for dinner and a quick run to the discount store. Well while I was there, I bought about a dozen more plants. Of course i did not have time to put those plants out, so thought about getting up early and doing it Thursday AM. Like I can do anything early in the day. Well it started raining. and it is predicted to do a lot of raining these next few days. So when I got home from work tonight with one hour of daylight left and no rain -- I planted and dug around in a lot of mud. And I dug in the dark to get as many of those plants in as I could before the rain starts again overnight. I wonder what they look like out there now. I guess I'll see in the morning.

The same sort of thing happened to me last fall, as I ordered bulbs from the Holland catalog and they arrived right on time to get planted before the ground froze. I was working a lot of overtime -- enough to think spending $90. on bulbs was a smart thing. Well in the Fall, working overtime is working all the daylight hours. I had to get those bulbs in. -- $90. worth of bulbs could not be wasted. I was out digging around until after dark one night with those bulbs.


Now along comes our early spring -- so warm and things are greening up so fast and yes -- up come little shoots from my precious bulbs. It gets warmer -- the little shoots get bigger and then . . . . record low temps for 10 days. . . what's up with that?

I am not about to let my first tulips -- imported from Holland and planted in the dark, cold fall night --- and (overtime is harder to come by now) costing $90. ----- let my first tulips die before I even get a glimpse of a bloom. No, that can't happen. So every night we ( Bob is helping me now -- I told him about the $90.) cover our little tulip plants with old towels. And it works!! I had wonderful tulips. Some great colors and some stately black and white ones.

Well, I am hoping these weather people are right about this weekend, and my new plants get plenty of nice rain, and since May 5 is our official last frost date,
I will not have to be out covering my new plants this spring anymore.

Thank you for listening.

4 comments:

Myrnagj said...

It's working. Now I'm going back an read it. It is soooo pink. (not a bad thing)

Sue said...

I, too have planting to do. I spent all afternoon on Sunday getting the bed around the Husker
Windmill ready for planting.
My back hurts today.
Sue

Janell said...

What a trooper you are to be out in the dark and working to save your tulips! Black and white tulips? I hope you took pictures.
We ended up with 4.6 inches of rain over the weekend - what a mess. I will be out mudding in some tomato & pepper plants between thunderstorms.
J.

Janell said...

Happy MOther's Day this Sunday!
JC