Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Midweek update

A very nice weekend by most standards. And a day off in the middle of the week, too. I think our Independence Day will be celebrated by a simple dinner at home with whatever children decide to join us.

The big fireworks show tonight just seems like too much of an effort to get there and manipulate the crowd to get a view, so we skipped it. The lightening bugs in the back yard will do.

We found the couch for our sunroom this weekend, and I bought 2 more plants to add to the landscape. Bob says he stops using minnows for bait on July 1 because of the heat, and that I should use the same date to stop adding plants for the same reason. I agree with him on this one. The dog days of summer are coming and it is time to stop digging and concentrate on the watering and weeding. That's the rule now. Don't let me forget it as I drive by the garden centers wishing for one more stop.

On Monday when Alex and Bob were drawing and coloring, Alex asked Bob to add something to the drawing and Bob said, "yes, hand me the black magic marker."

Alex said " I don't have one."

Bob says, "yes you do, we've been using it."

Alex says, "well, I have a black marker, but it's not magic."

Do you recall when we stopped calling markers magic?

Hope the 4th is happy and safe for all of you and yours.

3 comments:

Sue said...

If July 1 is the cut off for planting, why does Earl May give coupons to spend in July?
Sue

Janell said...

I don't remember when markers stopped being magic, but it makes me a little nostalgic to think they aren't anymore. Alex's response, by the way, is brilliant.
Sue, they want you to come in and buy all the leftovers!

LaDawn said...

Oh, I want a magic marker. Plain old markers just ain't as good.