Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Reading by Listening

I have a job where I can listen to a radio or whatever while working. I can still multitask enough to do this. I listen to quite a few books on tape. All of us in our department are quite well read. Well listened I guess you could say.

I happened to note something a few weeks ago. I was listening to Wally Lamb's book, I Know This Much Is True, and the protaganist is quite angry through most of the book. I really liked the book by the way. But the people I work with seemed to think I was rather crabby that week.

The next book I listened to was Jane Eyre, and I think I walked around like a rather smug, tight, Englishwoman that week.

Last week was an old book called The Shell Seekers, and it was being read by Lynn Redgrave, so I was pretty smug then, too.

This week I have Garrison Keillor's latest, Pontoon. Now this should be interesting.

5 comments:

Sue said...

Don't read any Steven Spielberg novels while you are working. Someone may have you committed.
Sue

Shirley said...

Good advice -- Do you mean Stephen King? I don't read those anyway.

Janell said...

I haven't read Pontoon, but I hope it doesn't make you start acting like a Norwegian Bachelor Farmer.

LaDawn said...

I soooo get this! When I read The Post Birthday World by Lionel Shriver I was really cross with my husband (well, more than usual). I definitely think great books can infect our moods. And they should. It is one of those things I love about reading: making me feel things I never would have otherwise.

Sue said...

Yah, I thought about it later that is was Stephen King.
Sue