Saturday, August 18, 2007

Ok-- Question #5

So what is the best surprise of married life and the worst.

For me this needs a time frame as I think I am surprised and "taken back" (for lack of any good word for a worst moment) all through married life. Certainly one of the best things has been not going through tough things alone. Waiting for Jonathan to be born was a rough time. I didn't know how sick I was and how dangerously close I came to having a stroke, etc. For several reasons, I just didn't think the baby would ever be born safe and sound and healthy. Bob was there and never seemed to waiver or be scared. He stayed on track with thinking the baby would come along and everything be all right. Except for the part when he almost fainted in the delivery room after they handed him the baby.

For the worst -- well now let me tell you -- I remember one time in our first home --
shortly after we finished new wallpaper and paint in the living room and we got our first computer. Well with no den or family room, the computer was going to have to be in the living room. And as we discussed what kind of a desk we should find and where to put it, Bob thought it would be fine to put a gray steelcase desk in my country decor living room. I was astonished that I could be married to a person who could think this way. A little shallow maybe? But it was one real moment.

Best and worst -- these moments still come and go. Just don't ever think that this is "as good as it gets."

2 comments:

Janell said...

Watching you two enjoy the antiquing thing together, it looks like you've gotten him properly re-educated in choosing home decor!

LaDawn said...

This made me alugh. Marc has got no taste in decorating at all and we constantly have tugawars about what works and what doesn't!

Marc was a lot like your husband during the pregnancies, and especialy after Abigail was born prematurely. Whilst I was sick or breaking down in tears sobbing, he held himself calmly and steadfastly and helped me get through every single day reminding me that the sun rises and the sun sets and we are still here together.